About Me

My Photo
Amongst other things, this is a love story.... the theme changes occasionally... this year it is fitness and learning to love yourself.

11 April 2015

Joy - an Ode to - #atozchallenge Care for the Carers

Two days after her 73rd birthday my Mum took her final breath. She had Alzheimers and Motor neurone disease. For her final 3 months I was her main carer. A privilege I am grateful for and will cherish forever. This years #atozchallenge theme will focus on being a carer / care-giver.

Remember to care for the carers.  



JOY






My Mother's name is Letizia - which means Joy in Italian.

Laura Sullivans's Ode to Joy, from the Album Feasts of love and joy, was playing gently in the background as Mum's coffin was carried out of Sacred Heart Church. It is the most beautiful version I have ever heard.  

In joy - Enjoy





I have disable flash on my computer so the embedded video is in html5 - this is new to me not sure how it will play in other browsers or operating systems. Here's a link just in case the above doesn't work for you.  Feasts of love and joy - Ode to Joy by Laura Sullivan.



***
My long slow goodbye is finally coming to an end. It started about 10 years ago. I don't know where in the world I was back then, but I do remember talking to Joy on the phone. 

She'd had a scare the night before. The laundry light was on. She went and stood in the doorway. For a moment she forgot where the light switch was. Her hub of cleanliness and organisation for almost 50 years was unfamiliar to her. She had no idea how light worked, or that she should even begin looking for a switch. A glimpse of worse to come.

From this point on she started packing up and cleaning out her things, and fought to hold on to the important stuff.

I'm surrounded by Joy. More to come in 48 hours or so, when I make it back to The Captain. It's been 6 months since I arrived here. 

I'm officially in transit from Melbourne to Denmark from Sunday 12th of April and back on the 13th - or 12th... again. I'm hoping the the flight and resulting jet lag will give me plenty of time to keep up with challenge and catch up with comments. Thanks for the support so far.

Tears of Joy escape me as I prepare for a final flight. 

My Mother-less-land. 

Through sadness and pain. I live and travel with Joy.


***

I use #atozchallenge when sharing my favourite posts.

Like Reflex Reactions on Facebook

Follow @ReflexReactions on Twitter

Add me to your circles on Google+ 


***

Learn more about:

 The A to Z challenge here.

8 comments :

  1. I'm listening to 'Ode to Joy' as I read and write to you Ida. May Joy continue to be your constant companion. Letizia will always be with you. May your travels and journey go smoothly ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, I felt a lot of Joy when I got upgraded to business class because of a seating issue with the people in front of me :)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful name and beautiful meaning. I've seen that happen, stopping and not knowing what something was about or how to do it. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love her name and the meaning of it too.

      Delete
  3. Hi Ida .. it's a lovely tune and the fact it's an Ode to Joy makes it very special. I certainly hope you have a peaceful journey back ... you will have tears of joy and tears of happiness .. both sadness and welcome to being back with the Captain ... with thoughts ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary, I'm glad you like the tune.

      Delete
  4. It played fine for me. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know William. Glad you liked it.

      Delete

Enjoy